CREATING THE SKY AND THE GRASS 1) Open Up Flip Boom All Star & Create a new Flip Boom File and name it correctly ( R#P# Username Staging) 2) Select the bottom (background) layer. 3) Select the rectangle drawing tool. 4) Select the color green. 5) Divide the screen by drawing a rectangle in the lower half. 6) Use the fill tool (paint can) to fill the lower half with green for the grass. 7) Select the rectangle drawing tool again. 8) Select the color blue. 9) Divide the screen again by drawing a rectangle in the upper half. 10) Use the fill tool (paint can) to fill the lower half with green for the grass.
CREATING THE FLICKERING SUN & RAYS 1) With the bottom background layer still selected, select the ellipse (circle) tool. 2) Select the color yellow. 3) Make a quarter size circle in the upper right corner of the screen. 4) Select the fill tool (paint can) and fill the circle with the color yellow for the sun. 5) Select the pencil or paint brush tool. 6) Select the color yellow. 7) Draw 4 or 5 short rays of sunlight. 8) Next, use the duplicate page button to duplicate the scene 3 times for a total of 4 frames. 9) With the bottom layer still selected, click on the 4th frame. 10) Use the brush tool and the color yellow to extend all of the sun rays a little bit longer. 11) Duplicate that frame 2 more times. You should have a total of 6 frames. 3 with a short ray and 3 with a longer ray.
12) Finally, highlight all 6 frames by clicking on the first frame, holding down the shift key, and clicking on the 6th frame. 13) With all 6 frames highlighted, use the duplicate page button 12 times for a total of 78 frames. 14) Press the playback button to check your work. If it isn't correct, trace back to where you made a mistake and try to fix it or go back and start over again. If it is correct, congratulations and move on!
ADDING CLOUDS TO THE TOP (FOREGROUND LAYER).
15) Go back to frame 1 and click on the top (foreground layer) to select it. 16) Use the brush drawing tool to draw a cloud. Start with a black outline and then use the paint can to fill the cloud with the color white. 17) Select both the black outline and the inside fill color and group them. 18) Next, use the copy and paste icons to make 3 more clouds. 19) Reposition and separate the clouds. Then use the select tool to adjust them so they look different from each other. 21) Use the zoom tool to zoom out of your canvas area and position the clouds off to the left outside the frame. 22) Select all 3 clouds and group them together.
23) Select the grouped cloud 24) Click on the copy icon 25) Click on the paste icon 3 more times. 26) Reposition and resize the clouds so they all look different (shape/size/ position in the sky). 27) Use the zoom out icon 28) Arrange clouds off canvas (leave one cloud barely on the screen) so that they can move across the sky in the next steps. 29) Use the reset view icon to reset your canvas back to normal size.
ADDING TREES TO THE TOP (FOREGROUND) LAYER 30) Switch from the drawing mode to the drawing library. Scroll through and find the tree. 31) Drag the tree onto your canvas twice and resize /reposition according to the video.
ANIMATING THE CLOUDS
32) Make sure you have the top layer of frame # 1 selected (The tree and clouds). 33) Click on the duplicate page button and slowly move the clouds across the sky frame by frame. Use smaller movements than the video (which was sped up for example purposes).
34) Make something else happen - your choice!! You can have a character enter the scene and do something - anything... can be totally random. You may have to add more duplicated frames for the background layer - just remember to highlight and duplicate the last 6 frames of the background layer to keep the sun flickering. You can watch the video to get and idea of what I mean.
35) Publish Your Project a) Click on the popcorn button b) Choose the blue Q (Quicktime) cup. c) make sure it is named correctly - especially the part that should say "Staging" R#P# Username Staging Make sure where is : Desktop
When finished, move onto the 3rd and final animation principal we work on - TIMING also known as the countdown bomb.